On Jan 31, 2009, at 12:31 PM, Jim Leftwich wrote:

This was, as we see now, a fundamentally different departure point
than the assumptions and approach taken by the HCI community.

And thus this is why we see such a large rift in practice, framing,
communication, and understanding.

And I think this is part of the reason you've met with the response that you have. There are many of us on the list that also come from traditional design backgrounds (e.g. graphic, industrial) for which the process you have described is nothing new. It is "just" the way we work (though not necessarily all the time). So some have been trying to discover what is different in your "R.E.D." from what is considered accepted, everyday practice, and why it should be given a new moniker. I call it "Interaction Design".

Best,
Jack

Jack L. Moffett
Interaction Designer