I've not been following the whole conversation, but of course even 15
personas would be preferable to 15 market segment/user needs analyses.
The point of personas is that they promote empathy - or would do if we
make them 'believable', hence the need for seemingly unimportant
details.

I wrote a blog about this a few months back for a different reason, but
I think it's relevant here, too.

http://www.syntagm.co.uk/design/blog/?p=89

Regards,

William Hudson
Syntagm Ltd
Design for Usability
UK 01235-522859
World +44-1235-522859
US Toll Free 1-866-SYNTAGM
mailto:william.hud...@syntagm.co.uk
http://www.syntagm.co.uk
skype:williamhudsonskype

Syntagm is a limited company registered in England and Wales (1985).
Registered number: 1895345. Registered office: 10 Oxford Road, Abingdon
OX14 2DS.

Attend our courses on Ajax design & usability, card sorting and web
usability:
CHI 2010 Conference (Atlanta, Georgia) http://www.chi2010.org
UPA 2010 Conference (Munich, Germany) http://bit.ly/8x9NU