On 18.2.2010, at 0.56, Vicky Teinaki wrote:

> If you go back to the source (Cooper's the Inmates Are Running the Asylum)
> Cooper suggests 3-12, but also points out that many personas have
> overlapping needs.
>
> The cast of characters (3-12) - page 135
> http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=04cFCVXC_AUC&lpg=PP1&ots=jfzhX3u_qN&dq=the%20inmates%20are%20running%20the%20asylum%20personas&pg=PA135#v=onepage&q=personas&f=false
>
> Sample list - page 143
> http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=04cFCVXC_AUC&lpg=PP1&ots=jfzhX3u_qN&dq=the%20inmates%20are%20running%20the%20asylum%20personas&pg=PA143#v=onepage&q=personas&f=false

Kim Goodwin, VP Design & General Manager @Cooper, gives a complete description
about how to create and work with personas in her 2009 book: Designing for the
Digital Age (foreword by Alan Cooper). This is the latest and most exhaustive
source for the topic right now. Tons of examples, images and exercises.

It's also the practitioner's guide to Goal-Directed Design and in my opinion
should be standard reading in any IxD curriculum. Highly recommended. On a
scale of one to five, I'd give it six stars.

http://www.cooper.com/insights/books/

As for the original question: Todd's answer is spot on. This article explains
some of the differences between personas and marketing segments:
http://www.cooper.com/journal/2002/03/reconciling_market_segments_an.html

Also read this one:
http://www.cooper.com/journal/2001/08/perfecting_your_personas.html

Cheers,
Petteri

--
Petteri Hiisilä
Senior Interaction Designer, owner / iXDesign

Mobile:   408-256-0430 (USA), +358505050123 (FIN)
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/petterihiisila
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/petterihiisila