Hey.. This is an interesting topic since I have been in this position
myself before. I was able to convince my client that these many
personas would mean additional expenses in terms of development,
maintenance and management of requirements. But if your clients
aren't too concerned about their budget (which is a novelty I might
add.. enjoy it :)) what you could consider is to identify why they
would consider 15 personas to start with. The way we do user groups
is to consider all possible user groups and identify which are the
primary user groups and which are secondary. Primary users would the
ones that cover a majority of the tasks/requirements. This will
really help identify which user groups are a mild "version" of each
other and which ones really need to developed. Since we would need to
tie back design decisions with each persona to justify decisions it
would be good to design to the x number of personas that cover close
to 90% of your requirements. This almost always winds down to being
3-5 personas for me. Hope this helps!