> On Oct 10, 2023, at 11:57 AM, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
>
> On Tue 10/Oct/2023 19:16:10 +0200 Todd Herr wrote:
>>>
>>> The illustrative example in the draft says:
>>>
>>> _dmarc.a.b.c.d.e.mail.example.com
>>> _dmarc.e.mail.example.com
>>> _dmarc.mail.example.com
>>> _dmarc.example.com
>>> _dmarc.com
>>>
>>> That is, no stop at all.  In this respect, a psd=n at example.com would
>>> save a lookup.  However, it is not something that we can recommend, after
>>> we chose the obscure tag name. >
>> I'm not sure I understand what you're saying...
>> The illustrative example cited is intended to illustrate a full tree walk
>> that follows the steps for a full tree walk that are spelled out in the
>> numbered list just prior to the illustrative example.
>

> Yup, I'm not criticizing the text (I wouldn't know how to better it).
>
> Just wondering how to implement it.  It is understood that programs must
> behave /as if/ they followed the letter of the spec, but don't have to
> actually do so.

Would it be possible to test these scenarios with a working prototype or some
other way to provide proof. Due to other obligations I haven’t been able to
lurk here much but upon coming back I think the tree walk issues touched on
today are possibly the only things standing in the way of dmarcbis. Though I
saw there’s a nascent save our PSL movement that I read about. I’m not sure how
serious or influential this movement is and why they’d feel so strongly that
they’d step in with somewhat dubious play reviews on the 10 yard line.

I’m just an observer.

I’d be shocked if DMARCbis to emerge perfect and triumphant. I expect problems
will be addressed, there’s going to be stress, but ultimately another hack such
as the hosts file for DNS will become largely irrelevant in the big picture,
taking the Internet another step out of childhood toward adulthood. That’s a
good thing even if some things go wrong along the way that need to be fixed or
mitigated. The Internet is a place where the perfect is often more blatantly
the enemy of the good.

Neil