>Please supply more information about the failure. Is there any message
>on the system log (usually /var/log/messages). Can you access the
>computer trhu network after the hang?

Yes, i can access the computer after the hang, via telnet and ftp.
Although i cannot shut down the computer via telnet after a system hang
for some reason. Otherwise everything works as normal.

I tried to run glxgears and just as the window opens up the computer
hangs. From the /var/log/messages i can read nothing. One interesting
thing is that it seems that the problems are due to some display
configuration. I don´t know exactly how to describe this but when the
computer hangs the screen divides in three parts, just as you get when
the display section in your XF86config file is set wrong. The lower half
 of the display remains the same as it was before the crash, and the
upper half divides into two small "console-like" windows with green text
(unfortunatley too small to read). But i am able to type commands in
them, but nothing useful works, like "shutdown -r now".

Hope this gives you some useful information.

Peter