>>Hell, serfs didn't have as much taken from them as Americans do now.
>>However, Heritage's index is not the only one out there. I forget
>>who puts out the other one.
>

>Serfs also didn't have anywhere near the amount of wealth the average
>(and poor) Americans do today. So, I guess one way of looking at it is
>that people are willing to give up more freedom, if it means they can be
>more wealthy.
>
>Tristan

I'm not sure if those two things correlate, Tristan.

It's more like this:  there has only really been one time people were
free: since the American Revolution, and until America Got Fucked, ie
the time of FDR, the invention of the income tax, etc.

When people (like me!) say "America today is fucked, we pay
slave-level-taxes", note that that means IN COMPARISON TO America
before the 1930s.

{There's really no other historical time you'd be saying America is
fucked in comparision to .... for example "America today is fucked
compared to ancient engyt" doesnt make sense, those guys were all
slaves; ditto for "America today is fucked compared to middle ages
Europe" or "America today is fucked compared to China" or whatever.
Saying "American today is fucked", certainly means "compared to
America before 1930"}

Here's a great article!

http://chaostan.com