> As to whether harsh punishments work to deter _real_ crimes, e.g. murder,
> rape, robbery, have a look at Singapore. Everyone I've ever talked to who
> has been there says you can feel almost perfectly safe anywhere, any time,
> provided only that you're not chewing gum or smoking a hoota.

Can you really put your blind faith in a government which regulates chewing gum to
protect you from robberies, without worrying that they might turn on whatever your
pleasure is (posting political opinions about other countries on the internet??) next?
If you're happy with that fine. As for me, I would rather take my chances on the
streets of Mexico City any day. It doesn't take much intelligence to avoid being
mugged, but it's a lot more effort to outwit a hostile government.

It's all about freedom, where we started this debate. And we all have the freedom to
choose under which system of government we want to conduct our lives. Not through
democracy, which is basically a sham, but by basing ourselves - physically or
virtually - in the jurisdiction(s) of our choice.

offshoresurfer