> From: "James M. Ray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:20:00 -0400
> To: "e-gold Discussion" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: [e-gold-list] Re: "Free" storage (was Re: gold ETF and GDC)
>
> At 10:22 PM +0300 6/23/03, Danny Van den Berghe wrote:
>> Of course, and there are also things you can do with the ETF that you can't
>> do with e-gold.
>> For example you can short the ETF if you think gold price will drop.
>
> I'm pretty-sure this is possible with Xodds.com, too, using e-gold. I
> haven't logged  into my Xodds account in a while, actually! :)

You can't really short using Xodds. You can place wagers on market moves
though. For example, you could bet that the price of gold would go down and
win $500. Cost of placing the bet is $400. If you are right, you win $100,
if wrong you lose $400.

For a real short position you would need the position to make $1 for every
$1 drop in the price of gold, and it would have to move in a 1:1 ratio.

>From X-odds perspective it's like betting on red or black on the roulette
wheel. But the house needs a bit of an edge to make money, which is why 0
and 00 are on the wheel. And that's why X-odds has lopsided payouts for
market moves.

Someone could set up a futures exchange using e-gold. People could loan
$1000 of e-gold out to the shorts, who would take possession for let's say a
1 month contract, then at the end of the month the shorts pay back the
e-gold. If the price is up, they lose, if it is down, they win. This could
be automated with software to automatically match buyer/sellers of
contracts, and a central authority would be established, the clearing house,
that would hold the gold to ensure performance of the contract, including
holding the funds for margin calls.

- John
---
http://cambist.net