At 10:22 PM +0300 6/23/03, Danny Van den Berghe wrote:
>Of course, and there are also things you can do with the ETF that you can't
>do with e-gold.
>For example you can short the ETF if you think gold price will drop.

I'm pretty-sure this is possible with Xodds.com, too, using e-gold. I
haven't logged  into my Xodds account in a while, actually! :)

>And you can trade in and out of the ETF as much as you want , without paying
>a 2% premium each time.
>
>So, which one is worth more will depend what you are planning to do.
>For somebody who wants to trade the ups and downs in the gold price, e-gold
>is plain useless.

I wonder if anyone has done a real comparison between xodds and
ordinary online brokerages?

>That's the purpose of the ETF, to make it easy and cheap for ordinary
>investors to invest in physical gold.

Call me old-fashioned (and I *still* am glad e-gold's totally out of the
coin-business) but I like coin-dealers for that, too. There's something
about holding an ounce or two of gold in your fingers...

>Any kind of dishonest management could pull the Enron trick easily on a
>DBourse style exchange.

You're right, of course. Any shareholders of DBourse/TGC only have a
reputation to rely upon, is one view of things. Of course, what did Enron
shareholders rely on? Kenny-Boy's friendship with the president himself
didn't stop the fall of that company. If DBourse suddenly turns dishonest
I expect everyone who gave them money will lose. I just don't think it's
either likely or in their interest at this point (or ever) to turn dishonest! I
could, of course, be wrong. Thank you for playing devil's advocate!

>And how would a DBourse style exchange avoid that companies issue shares
>when they don't need the extra capital, only to pay themselves very high
>wages until the money is finished...?

Well, aside from covenants like TGC's, they may not be able to do it! I
look forward to DBourse's answer to your and other questions on this
forum.

>The only thing I can give a thumbs up on DBourse is the direct trading
>system, without market makers.

Yes, no more front-running, a real market! THAT's what is so cool for
me. I'm hardly able to notice other things unless you point them out, so
keep asking questions!
JMR