> (I'm not sure if e-gold's storage fees will stay the same for that long!)
> The e-gold storage fee is only 1% per year, not 1.2%.
>
> Also, e-gold is just plain worth more because you can do things with
> it that you can't do with this stuff BESIDES just being long gold. For
> similar reasons, ten tenth-oz coins are worth more than a 1oz. coin.

Of course, and there are also things you can do with the ETF that you can't
do with e-gold.
For example you can short the ETF if you think gold price will drop.
And you can trade in and out of the ETF as much as you want , without paying
a 2% premium each time.

So, which one is worth more will depend what you are planning to do.
For somebody who wants to trade the ups and downs in the gold price, e-gold
is plain useless.

> >I have opened brokerage accounts, futures trading accounts and even Swiss
> >bank account all online just like you sign up for e-gold.
> >And I am not even living in the US.
>
> Interesting. I've always experienced delays/hassles when I tried
> this kind of thing.

That's probably because you live in the US.

> >Moreover half of the US households have brokerage accounts already, and
in
> >Europe most people buy stocks via their regular bank, so a whole bunch of
> >people can buy and sell the gold ETF as soon as it is launched, using
> >companies they trust already.
> >

> And I hope they do. More demand for gold is a good thing.

That's the purpose of the ETF, to make it easy and cheap for ordinary
investors to invest in physical gold.

> PS In another list message, you said, "A company doesn't issue
> new shares when it doesn't need the extra capital." I think that
> was the entire Enron/WorldCom/Global-Crossing business plan,
> though! :) Remember what I said, DBourse might just be about
> TGC's making a *point* (or three!) along with making a profit! I
> refer here to their unflattering-description of competing markets,
> among other signs I've seen.

Enron was to do with 'cooking the books', so that the losses /loans and
risks they were taking could not be seen by the investors.
It involved cooperation of the auditing firm for this scam to be possible.

But how would a system like DBourse avoid this kind of problem, when there
is not even an auditing firm to check the books?
When they are probably not even going to publish their exact turnover and
profit numbers every quarter...

Any kind of dishonest management could pull the Enron trick easily on a
DBourse style exchange.

And how would a DBourse style exchange avoid that companies issue shares
when they don't need the extra capital, only to pay themselves very high
wages until the money is finished...?

The only thing I can give a thumbs up on DBourse is the direct trading
system, without market makers.
But that too already exists more or less in the various electronic trading
platforms like Island

Danny