> >For example you can short the ETF if you think gold price will drop.
>
> I'm pretty-sure this is possible with Xodds.com, too, using e-gold. I
> haven't logged  into my Xodds account in a while, actually! :)

Well, xodds (that's betonmarkets isn't it?) is more to be compared with the
options exchanges.
They actually have developped a few nice products which you don't find on
the ordinary options exchanges.
But for somebody who simply wants to trade long or short the physical gold
market, their fees will be much too high.
Just buy any of their options and try to sell it again subsequently, and you
will find that you already lost some 10-15% in the transaction cost alone...

> Call me old-fashioned (and I *still* am glad e-gold's totally out of the
> coin-business) but I like coin-dealers for that, too. There's something
> about holding an ounce or two of gold in your fingers...

It sure is nice with an ounce or two, but few people sleep well with 100
ounces or so under their matress...

> You're right, of course. Any shareholders of DBourse/TGC only have a
> reputation to rely upon, is one view of things. Of course, what did Enron
> shareholders rely on?

They relied on the (very good) reputation of the auditing firm, but still it
failed.
It is not the Nasdaq or New York stock exchange that are to be blamed for
this.

When you have a dishonest management that finds an auditor who is willing to
play the game, then the rules fail.
But do you seriously think that in absence of these rules (sec) and an
auditor, this Enron management would suddenly have turned into honest and
dependable, trustworthy people that would not have wasted anybody's money???

> >And how would a DBourse style exchange avoid that companies issue shares
> >when they don't need the extra capital, only to pay themselves very high
> >wages until the money is finished...?
>
> Well, aside from covenants like TGC's, they may not be able to do it!

Unless they start reinventing the wheel and also create some rules and use
auditors inorder to keep the sharetrading reasonably honest....

Danny