At 04:52 PM 10/14/2005, Rob MacKillop wrote:
>Yes, but see my previous post a few days ago where I quoted Aguado as saying
>that he doesn't need to use the pinkie now that he has his tripod. The
>inference seems to be that he used the pinkie before he invented his tripod.

Which of Aguado's texts holds that quote, Rob?  I'm guessing it must
predate the 1843 method.  As Matanya points out, the famous image is
directly contradictory to the accompanying text of 1843.  In context, the
earlier statement almost seems a marketing ploy as much as a practical
reference to his favored technique.  The 1843 text could be taken that way
too if the inference was that using the tripod will relieve the necessity
of the pinkie plant.

Eugene