Matthew,

Just one small comment: using the Internet doesn't necessarily also imply
that one uses a browser interface. The Internet is the transport mechanism
and doesn't require a human-to-browser interaction at all. Remember, the
Internet is just a vast network of computers, on top of that is the World
Wide Web with its browser/GUI interface for humans.

Rachel

|Correct me if I'm wrong or if it's just Friday and I'm not
|thinking clearly.
|Brenda asked about a VAN/Service to do EDI over the internet,
|isn't that
|contradictory?  The purpose of doing EDI over the internet is
|to get rid of
|the VAN, at least the VAN costs.  The transmissions of EDI
|documents can be
|done through FTP, with security, but if you're still going
|through a VAN
|service it's not "eliminating the VAN".  (Don't worry VAN's
|you'll be around
|for a long time.)  In the EDI world that I work in,
|Retailer-Manufacturer,
|major retailers are still pushing mailboxes on VANs for their
|suppliers,
|partly because they have invested millions of dollars into
|internal systems
|to accept EDI formatted documents which they can receive over
|the internet
|but until "they" move their internal software systems to support web
|browsers they will continue to use VAN's.  Ultimatley, the
|"elimination of