From: Catlin, Phil [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 9:50 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: XML for EDI book: Any comments?
Paul...
I have to disagree...
If anything Mark has left out some VERY significant expenses. Initiating B2B
commerce over the internet also assumes that you have established "high
availability" in your environment. I define high availability as being
7x24x365
up time on ALL components of your system. You also need to be staffed to
support
"high availability", someone on site or with dial in capability on call
24x7x365.
This usually involves redundant components such as servers, network access
points, routers and disk arrays. Don't forget to include your legacy systems
here too! An enlightening question to ask your systems people is "How long do
we take for backups each night, and can users be in the (pick your application)
system during the backup?"
You can also be assured that most software is not capable of "high
availability"
in it's off the shelf configuration, and that making it highly available will
be
expensive.
This isn't all bad, but I find it amusing every time I read how this will lower
the cost barriers for SME's. That red herring should be permanently retired!
Phil C