With all the complaints I hear about VAN cost I find it difficult to believe
that someone would pay even more money for this "hacked" data.  With firewalls
being almost standard equipment in most business today VPN's provide pretty good
security already.  Besides all this "secure EDI" talk is nonsense.  If I get
someone's network ID and password for a network I can get all the"secure" data I
want.

Hurd, Richard A (Rich) wrote:

> > I your example the opportunity cost lost by company B in sniffing your
> > data would outweigh any savings they may receive from finding out what
> > Company A's discounts are.  Company B would have to have time, hire
> > hacks and processing power - bottom line a waste of time and effort -
> > there are better ways for company B to find a lower price.  They will
> > probably go to a competitor of yours who has no qualms of transacting
> > commerce over the Internet.
> >
> Except that "hiring hacks" may be as easy as going to a local high school or
> college and getting a bunch of script kiddies.  And the processing power and
> the "hacks" (I assume you mean "hackers" but I can't be sure) can possibly
> be leveraged to provide a competitive advantage to dealings with other
> companies.
>
> Or, in a more sinister vein, you could have a clandestine org pop up whose
> job it is to "mine" the EDI stream and sell this info.  It's a lot easier
> for company B to get this information if they have a ready well of info that
> they can tap into, and all they need do is write a check (or get a briefcase
> full of cash into the right locker at the bus station.)
>
> > I repeat, avoiding EDI over the Internet because of security concerns is
> > ridiculous.
> >
> You forgot "IMHO" in there.
>
> Can we all stop repeating ourselves?   :-{)

Glenn Thompson
Programmer/Analyst
American Trouser, Inc.