> <snip>
>
> > Why do you care about someone else's purchase orders or
> > invoices anyway? - it's a red herring.  Avoiding EDI over
> the Internet
> > because of security concerns is ridiculous.
> >
> > --
> > Richard Druckenmiller
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >

> I disagree, it's not a red herring, it's a big nasty shark
> waiting in the wings to bite you due to the basic principle
> that 'information is power'.

I must agree -- calling security concerns a red herring is most certainly a red
herring in and of itself. :-)  The statement "why do you care about someone else's
purchase orders or invoices" sounds like it comes from an environment where published,
standard prices are the norm (i.e. business-to-consumer).  Many of us operate in
environments where the price for each product or service is negotiated on a customer
by customer and case by case basis.  In this environment, if I can see my competitor's
purchase orders or invoices I can have a field day -- that information is worth a ton!

All that being said, my biggest concern surrounds the issue of using the Internet for
time sensitive EDI (and most of ours is!).  I just can't depend on a "best effort",
inherently unreliable network with no central point of responsibility for
business-critical data.

And (here's the shot across the bow) anyone who tells me that *today* the Internet
provides robust, reliable connectivity gets to explain away the network outages we've
seen at major ISP's over the past year or two.  I compare that to my ANX connection,
where I've had 0 minutes of unplanned downtime since the day we started using the ANX
connection in production (September 1998).  That is the quality of service I need so
that I can *guarantee* my customers that we'll meet *their* stringent requirements.

Paul Krikke
Taylor Steel Inc.

ннннннннннннннннннннннни signoff the EDI-L list,
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]