From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf
Of Mike S
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 10:43 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: Elecraft Discussion List
Subject: [Elecraft] Filtering list traffic properly

At 11:28 PM 8/1/2004, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote...
>I have Outlook set to put anything with [Elecraft] in the subject line into
>the "Elecraft" message folder. That word is consistent, no matter what
>changes in the address fields.

Consistent, yes. It is also ambiguous. It does not uniquely identify a
message as coming from the list. If someone does a private (off-list) reply
to one of your messages, a filter built on such a criteria will end up
sorting it in with list traffic. I've seen a few embarrassing messages
appear on lists as a result of this (responses to private messages ending up
on a list).

There is a unique header which is present on all messages coming from the
list server used by Elecraft, which has been available since at least 2001:

Depending upon your MUA, "Elecraft" in header "List-Id: or "List-Id:
Elecraft" in headers should be sufficient to unambiguously identify a
message as coming from this discussion list. I don't know if Elecraft has
other lists (a beta tester one, perhaps), but if so, a longer string may be
needed to uniquely identify each for anyone on multiple lists.

For MS Lookout, a rule such as "Apply this rule after the message arrives
with List-ID: Elecraft in the message header" should work.

Mike