Hello Ben!

You do NOT need an oscilloscope to build and align your K2! A digital
multimeter is all you need, and one could get away with building a K2
without even that.

Still, an oscilloscope is a wonderful tool to have around the shop. If I had
to give up all my instruments save one, the one instrument I'd keep would be
my oscilloscope. As you know an oscilloscope can do anything almost any
other instrument can do and more besides.

You're an O.T. like me. The new oscilloscopes are digital. They quantize
analog signals and process streams of digital data. Like all digital
systems, they have advantages and disadvantages based on how well the
digitizing process replicates the analog signal being studied. Personally, I
like an analog scope best. The frequency response should be at least 5 or 10
times the highest frequency signal you will observe, in order to see
artifacts on the signal accurately. That means something in the range of 200
MHz for someone working on high-frequency equipment. Dual trace capability
is also extremely handy for certain things. But I'd take a 200 MHz single
trace scope over a 50 MHz or lower dual trace scope any day for sheer
usefulness and value.

I have a Hewlett-Packard 1740A scope that I picked up used. It's only a 100
MHz scope, but it's a rugged, reliable, analog dual trace scope. I suspect
it'll be quite a while before it's retired from the central position on my
bench. And if some 'sexy' digital-damsel gets added to the bench to do
things the trusty 1740 can't, I suspect she'll have to share the workbench
with the 1740 who will still be called upon when I want to see an analog
signal without its being processed and replicated on a digitized display.

Ron AC7AC