I used FT-2000, FT-897 previously and the K3 requires, which some people do not
do, reading a manual.
Once you have set it up to your need it works fine..during a contest all I need
is there where it should be.

I sold all the Japanese radios now and working mainly with the K3...not to
forget the restaurated Drake 7-line which is next to it. (it also has different
ergonomics) And as Monty stated you have to learn the functions.

Like the comparison with cars...one day a convertible is cool, the other day a
roadster or a hatch. Each handles differently and has different
controls...depends on what you want.

For the "Knob lovers" the Y,K and I of this world offer their, what I call,
"Shack Altars" for a 5 digit amount of bucks..you pay for knobs you turn maybe
once a year! Easy spottable by the dust accumulation over a month. :-)

I like the K3 as it is! It´s like a roadster .. small, lightweight, pure,
handles easily and gives direct feedback! AND if you do not know to drive it,
it will not excuse mistakes.
If you do not know what you do, you can completely misconfigure your K3!

My 2 cent on this topic...

73s
Bernie
DL5RDP