I think you're correct Dave. Unlike all other contests, WRTC is refereed and everyone uses identical antennas and power ... about as level a playing field as you could ever create. WRTC *is* structured to focus on operator skills vs station excellence, 100W is 100W in that situation, it doesn't really matter which rig generated the RF. Mandating a specific radio would put all the ops who don't use that radio in everyday contesting at a big disadvantage.

There could be some small advantages on receive, I imagine they were confronted with pile-ups earlier in the contest, but eventually, they likely worked everyone they heard, and I doubt there would be much difference in what one could hear on a K3 vs a 7600, FT1000, or other radios. They're all either current state-of-the-art radios or close.

The one factor that using different radios does not control for is spurious emissions such as key clicks and phase noise. There *is* a wide difference in those between the radios. Don't know if that would turn out to be an issue in the WRTC environment, although I sure know it was when my "neighbor" Jack, KF6T, was running a Yaesu rig with serious phase noise problems. Of course, if clicks and phase noise was an issue at WRTC, it would impact everyone else negatively.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org