Shucks, fellers.  All that does not add up.

WE can rationalize this any way we like, but the fact is, 5 of the 6 best operators did not choose a K3, and I know least one other happy K3 owner used a Brand-X radio for the competition, and in all of his qualifying rounds.

Logically - If you say the rig does not matter, and it all turns on operator skill ... then no one can brag about any particular radio used in the competition for any reason. We cannot have it both ways. We cannot say the K3 is best because 70 percent of the field used one, but it does not matter what the winners used, because after all, it all turns on operator skill. If the rig does not matter for the winners, it does not matter for anyone.

So the unfortunate bottom line take-away is the top three teams used 5 5 ICOMS and one K3.

Again, if you claim the radio does not matter, then it does not matter, and we cannot claim any victory for any rig used in the contest. That would be inconsistent.

Personally, I think the fact 70 percent of the field used the same model radio is significant, although it may just prove it is easier than other radios to ship and travel with. Still... it is a big number.

Just MY take.