On 7/29/2014 5:15 AM, w1gd via Elecraft wrote:
When we tested with the non-K3 from the same location
with the same beam heading, the phase noise was not a significant problem.
If we reduced the K3 output to 30 watts, there was no problem. Fortunately,
we were able to change out the original K3 with another K3 and that
significantly reduced the problem.

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the info. As the ARRL data shows, phase noise performance of the K3 that's working right is quite a bit better than any other modern rigs out to 1 MHz, but that's as far as ARRL's published data goes. If it was my K3, it would have gone back to Elecraft as soon as I could get it there after the contest, even handing to them in their booth. :)

73, Jim K9YC