Perhaps it's vanity, but I like running my rig off solar power and batteries. Since I also take the rig out in the field somewhat frequently, battery power avoids noisy generators. (Besides, I own the panels and batteries, but don't own a generator.)

In any case, floating batteries requires a power source during operations which doesn't work really well with solar power at night. The WVARA operation discovered during the last California QSO Party that tired batteries and K3s are a recipe for transmitter distortion and local interference in a multi-radio operation. The N8XJK Battery Booster is an attempt to get more life from tired batteries into the just before dawn hours.

73 Bill AE6JV