Volker,

It only makes sense to buy factory built if you buy the K3 with all the
possible modules fitted otherwise you will be dis-assembling the radio to
fit other modules at some later date. A design philosophy of the K3 is being
able to buy the basic unit and upgrade as you can afford it ....or as the
dollar/euro/sterling rate becomes more favourable! Field upgrading is just
an extension of the kit rationale.

I bought #145 as a kit back in July 2007 and had to wait many months for the
second receiver which required a significant refit. Being an early unit I
have fitted several uprades and have had to replace a faulty main dsp board
too; knowing how it all went together in the first place made all this
straightforward and easy to do.

So if you have the time and don't have visual or physical impairment it's
not a problem at all. There's the extra security of knowing that the
finished unit has been tested in Aptos but even if/when a problem does arise
you will be talked through it step by step and receive board swaps as
necessary in a manner probably unique to Elecraft. My DSP board problem was
a minor one linked to the second rx and was sorted quickly and efficiently
but it did require me to swap out a couple of boards which were sent from
Aptos.

We are after all 'Radio Amateurs' so we shouldn't really have a problem with
screwdrivers and ESD mats, should we??

73,

Stewart Rolfe, GW0ETF