Agreed.  It just seemed that people were nto interested in that for
 some reason.  My two cents would be to make a formal branch (in the same
 repository) and march along.  The any changes would be easy to merge in.
 If people wanted a temp repository (basically a fork) to hack and then
 hand merge later, I could help provide one.  As you suggest, a brach is
 a much easier thing to administer than fork and backport...

   EBo --