Hi,

On 06/10/2011 04:16 PM, Lars Segerlund wrote:

It sounds like Michaels patches from sercos is the way to go, since they
are current, enhanced and he plans a code drop.

Well, we are still at the version 2.4.4 but we plan to port the patches to a newer version. We also like to keep the EMC adoptions hardware independent. That would also make other adoptions easier.

Also that code have been exercised with real gardware :) , what kind of
latencies ?

The machine with the sercos drives is located at a company. A student is doing the adoptions to the sercos stack. But he told me, he had the drives already moving (bringing the drives to operation is a quite complex task).

Nevertheless I attached a kernel latency plot which was measured a few weeks ago on another computer. It was created on a Core i7 2600 with 3.4Ghz and 8 cores, while a few real-time tasks were running for about 12 days with 2ms cycle time. The kernel it's just a RT_Preempt patched vanilla kernel without other tuning. That's why it performs not really good. It shows latencys of about 150us (a few in one billion samples) and an average of 3us. For our application it was far enough and I had no time to tune the system, anyway.

But it could be far better: The OSADL testfarm shows 39us on this an comparable system. I think I have to review their configuration soon :)
https://www.osadl.org/?id=864
https://www.osadl.org/Latency-plot-of-system-in-rack-4-slot.qa-latencyplot-r4s6.0.html

IMHO , Lars Segerlund

Greetings Michael

On Jun 10, 2011 3:51 p.m., "Michael Abel"
<michael.a...@isw.uni-stuttgart.de
<mailto:michael.a...@isw.uni-stuttgart.de>> wrote:

Hi Lars,

We also intend to port the patch to a recent EMC version. It would be
nice if we find a way to cooperate on this topic.

We are currently trying to use EMC in combination sercos III
(www.sercos.org <http://www.sercos.org>) (I asked about that a few
weeks ago). We are using a proprietary sercos III communication stack
which runs already on RT_Preempt. The stack is based on cosema
(http://cosema.sourceforge.net/).

To couple EMC with the stack I applied the patches from Michael Büsch
and made some other enhancements. I also added a simple shared memory
interface component to HAL and semaphore support to linux_rtapi. Which
seems to run quite well. A lot of further changes are also planned.

I'm planning to put the patches together with a bit of documentation
and a few test results on a website within the next week.

Greetings
Michael

On 06/10/2011 02:01 PM, Lars Segerlund wrote:

    > > I got the original patches from the mail below, I will clean
    them up > so that they apply to the...

    > EditLive Enterpri...

Dipl.-Ing. Michael Abel

Graduate School advanced Manufacturing Engineering
GSaME - Universität Stuttgart

Institut für Steuerungstechnik
der Werkzeugmaschinen und Fertigungseinrichtungen
ISW - Universität Stuttgart

Seidenstr. 36
70174 Stuttgart

Tel.: ++49 (0) 711 685-82532