2012/4/26 Jan de Kruyf <jan.de.kr...@gmail.com>:
> yes, but hexapods and robots are a problem

There is no way to jog single joint on hexapod without causing damage
to the construction of machine!
Jogging in "joint" mode is dangerous with machines with parallel
kinematics, including gantries. It is awkward for serial kinematics
machines (puma robots etc), but not that dangerous, although still
very risky for unsuspecting operator. One of my clients is company
with hundreds of employees and they usually are rotating their tasks,
so AFAIK the number of people that are working with my machine is at
least 10. There is no way I can ask everyone of them to instruct, how
to work with LinuxCNC. And I do not have illusions that they would
read written instructions. So the only option - KISS, remove any
chance to mess something up. And jogging in joint mode for non-trivial
kinematics is one of them.

Regarding gantries - if only one side has hit the limit switch, I see
2 general cases:
1) gantry is still straight, limit switches on both sides are not at
the same coordinates for each joint or something else.
Jogging each joint separately _not_ necessary, as it will rack the
gantry and actually make things worse.
2) gantry is not straight, one joint has traveled more than the other.
Jogging each joint separately _is_ necessary for both moving off the
limit switch and (more or less) line up gantry. There is some problem
with machine to be solved for gantry joints having different travel
distances.

The second case needs jogging in joint mode as there is a problem with
the machine, so it lies outside "normal operation of machine" realm.
That is why I think INI option to enable/disable joint mode
availability to user would be great. In second case operator could
close LinuxCNC, set INI value to enable joint mode, start LinuxCNC,
jog off the limit switch, home the machine (which would be needed
anyway, since previously LinuxCNC's coordinate of that joint did not
match the actual position, otherwise gantry would still be straight)
and solve the cause.

Viesturs