From: Chris Maxwell [mailto:chris.maxw...@nettest.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 3:25 PM
To: Gregg Kervill; am...@westin-emission.no; emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject: RE: UL - marking - gentle warning not to extrapolate.

This thread brings up a question that I have been wondering about.

Amund's question dealt with a product that had the UL label and a file
number.  The file number was used to identify the manufacturer.  My
understanding of the response that Amund received is that this
identification is adequate

My question is:

Does the file number need to be on the label?  Can the manufacturer
leave the file number off of the label and simply put a generic UL (or
CSA) mark on the product along with their nameplate identifying the
manufacturer, model and serial number?

If this can be done, are there any sources for pre-printed UL and/or CSA
labels?   I'd especially be interested in one with the CSA mark and the
"C  US" subscript denoting dual UL/CSA certification.  These days,
management likes using less custom parts and saving money.  Even if it's
labels :-)

Chris Maxwell | Design Engineer - Optical Division
email chris.maxw...@nettest.com | dir +1 315 266 5128 | fax +1 315 797
8024

NetTest | 6 Rhoads Drive, Utica, NY 13502 | USA
web www.nettest.com | tel +1 315 797 4449 |