Well, I did the retuning of the drivers. I added much more P and found that
the current limit potentiometer wasn't at max. Put everything back together
and voilá - not a bloody difference...

When I'm running the test code (up-down 150 times) it's so bad I can
actually see that the first line of code lifts the Z-axis too high because
the acceleration is too late. Then I also can see that every time Z is
supposed to turn at Z0 or Z10 it stops and changes direction mm's before the
expected height.

This is soooo frustrating! When setting the PID the servo's accelerates so
fast I have to clamp the to the bench. When running with the rest of the
system it's just poor performance.
I do think that my servo's are powerful enough for this machine. It's pretty
heavy but when I manually jog an axis it blows away. Now I have to consider
getting a bunch of new drivers. Typical, I really need this machine up and
running. :(

Thanks for all support guys, much appreciated!