> An "interpreter" that takes in this file format or similar would be a much
> better match for this kind of machine.  The HAL layer would need to have
> all the stepgens and hardware drivers loaded as a single realtime system,
> but the stepgens would be fed by a custom interpreter and simplified state
> machine (for the pickup/place macros).  There is no need for a coordinated
> motion controller, since all movements are like G0 - it's irrelevant what
> path is taken to get to the endpoint, what matters is that you get there
> (without hitting anything).
>
> RS274NGC is overkill and inefficient for this kind of machine.

I will certainly start studying HAL closer to see what I can do.  However, there
are two reasons I would like to retain G-code for programming the motions of
each station in the assembly machine.  One is so the engineer setting up the
machine only needs to know plain G-code programming, rather than somewhat
esoteric HAL configuration, and the other is so that somewhat more complex
operations like dispensing adhesive or screwing parts together can be easily
accommodated with the same programming as simple motions.  Just add G02's
and G03's to the G01's and G00's already in use.  Some special M codes would
provide synchronization between stations.

What I am wanting is actually the same thing that would be needed for a
multispindle, multiturret lathe.  As I understand it, those typically have one
G-code program per turret, with M codes to synchronize.

Thanks again for all the ideas.
-- Ralph