On Wednesday, March 30, 2011 10:55:12 PM Jon Elson did opine:

> gene heskett wrote:
> >  I am not so sure that because their attitude is filled with a pretty
> >
> > high vacuum, I would have given them the info to fix it without first
> > getting another support session if you needed it promised to be
> > gratis.  I don't like paying for non-support.  Scratching backs
> > should be mutually pleasurable.
>
> I was more concerned that other poor users would have the same problem
> and end up reloading the OS.
> One of the problems that came up was that after a crash or power fail,
> the guest OS (Win2K) would get
> a blue screen.  I'm not a Windows Guru at all, and actually reloaded the
> whole OS and tried to rebuild all the files one time, and was very close
> to doing that when the same thing happened, when I stumbled on the
> correct solution in a long Google search - just run chkdsk from the
> install CD and it will fix it!  Sheesh, I can't BELIEVE they didn't
> suggest chkdsk!

I was under the impression that chkdsk was for messydos file systems only.
But its been so long since I had to worry about a w2k machine I can't
recall what filesystem is under it, messydos or NT-3.51.  I wiped my last
M$ install, XP on a now 6 year old HP laptop, 3 years ago.  It has the 64
bit version of pclos on it now.  Sweet.

> I'm sure my paid-for support sessions have expired since I didn't use
> them within a year or whatever.  Damned unlikely I'll ever call them
> again, either.

And I'll bet they can't figure out why the usage is going down, or at best
is flat.  With support like we have experienced, they are their own worst
enemy.  Took lessons from M$ no doubt.  Sigh..  Some rarely learn.

--
Cheers Jon, Gene
<http://tinyurl.com/ddg5bz>