2011/4/1 Ralph Stirling <ralph.stirl...@wallawalla.edu>:
> I will certainly start studying HAL closer to see what I can do.  However,
> there
> are two reasons I would like to retain G-code for programming the motions of
> each station in the assembly machine.  One is so the engineer setting up the
> machine only needs to know plain G-code programming, rather than somewhat
> esoteric HAL configuration

I suppose that with change of settings that is connected with g-code
You mean changing the coordinates of pick and place points.
I think that this can be done by feeding those values directly in HAL.
Custom HAL components are written in C language and then compiled with
EMC2. You can include command in the component to open a specific file
and read it's contents.
So in that file You can specify coordinates and add comments, which
number means what so that in the end operator does not have to mess
with HAL and it's components, but just turn off machine, close EMC,
change the coordinates in a file and turn the machine on.

> and the other is so that somewhat more complex
> operations like dispensing adhesive or screwing parts together can be easily
> accommodated with the same programming as simple motions.  Just add G02's
> and G03's to the G01's and G00's already in use.  Some special M codes would
> provide synchronization between stations.

Just as You mentioned - those additional moves are just moves, treat
them as a usual move and feed the necessary information - target
coordinate etc - from a separate file.

> What I am wanting is actually the same thing that would be needed for a
> multispindle, multiturret lathe.  As I understand it, those typically have one
> G-code program per turret, with M codes to synchronize.

Actually I would like to find that out - how do they program those
machining centers. If they are fed with one g-code file, where both
spindles/turrets are moved by the same X, Y and Z functions then I see
2 issues there:
1) there must be some logic, which defines, which command will be
executed by which spindle, this might be handled by M codes;
2) AFAIK, EMC will start executing next line only when previous is
finished, it won't allow executing 2 lines at a time even if commands
for spindle were written with X, Y and Z commands, but other - with
U,V and W commands.

Viesturs