On 11/23/2011 07:52 PM, Jack Coats wrote:
> I'm not saying that the 10.04 is bloated, but some of the folks that
> have moved to 11.04 or 11.10 locally have noted several 'broke as
> designed' items and have complained about bloat in the newer versions
> as well as the new Ubiquity user interface.  I am guessing 12.04 will
> be the next LTS version.

Agree.

Kubuntu 11.04 upgraded to 11.10 on my home workstation is giving me a
hell of a time I haven't seen in years. Nvidia drivers especially are
unpredictable. Some utilities like Amarok drive CPU use to 103%
according to top.

Stable Debian or minimal Ubuntu with XFCE4 would be more appropriate for
EMC and better fit for smaller embedded systems IMO. I looked at XFCE4
recently and find it provides good enough environment for most GUI needs
with smaller footprint than Gnome or KDE.

> I am not complaining, just wondering what our outlook for the future
> is and if there are any suggested changes.  Trying to be a bit
> proactive and forward thinking.

Agree.

> Historically I have seen software enlarge to meet the capability of
> the hardware it runs on.  Using its features is OK, but leaving some
> of the capability for other software to use (like EMC2, CAD/CAM
> packages, etc) rather than trying to soak it all up in the OS and
> support software is good too.
>
> ... Jack

There is one more issue at this time in history, transition from 32bit
to 64bit. Mix of 64bit and 32bit libraries and other code is causing all
kinds of strange problems if you run some Java or other apps that were
written for 32 bit release.

--
Rafael