From: Kent A. Reed <knbr...@erols.com>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Next distribution after Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is no longer
supported?
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Wednesday, November 23, 2011, 8:33 PM

On 11/23/2011 9:55 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> Jack Coats wrote:
>> I know EMC2 doesn't do anything but Ubuntu LTS as it's 'official'
>> supported distribution.
>>
>> On several other lists I have noticed the complaints about the Ubuntu
>> Bloat and moving
>> to Unity and things not working.
>>
>> Have we, as a community or even just developers, thought about now to
>> go to a 'less bloated'
>> distribution?
>>
> What's the problem?  It still fits on one CD, and will run in 256 MB of
> memory
> (I think).  Unless we start supporting a port to some non-X86
> architecture, it
> really doesn't seem to be a major problem at the moment.
>
> Jon

I'm glad you mentioned the memory requirement, Jon.

Just because I've been looking at the EMC2 documentation lately, I've
begun to wonder about some of the statements made about minimum
requirements for CPU speed and RAM size. Some look suspiciously old.
Have we tested these claims lately? I was thinking about using virtual
machines to try installing and running EMC2 (in simulator mode, of
course) with different memory sizes, but realistically I can no longer
test at slow CPU speeds like the 400MHz  PII/PIII claimed on the Wiki or
the 700 MHz x86 claimed in the Getting Started doc.

Regards,
Kent