On 7 November 2011 04:32, Kent A. Reed <knbr...@erols.com> wrote:

> Once you've settled on an approach I hope you'll provide pictures for
> the rest of us to ooh and aah over :-)

I have been thinking about this, and settled down to design a purely
mechanical High-Speed spindle for my milling machine. It has a BT30
spindle and, like many oldr machines, a range of speeds, all of which
are slow. In this case the are speeds from 46 to 1200 rpm.
http://www.bodgesoc.org/HS_Spindle.html
It looks a bit of a mess in HTML, but if you download the PDFs and
view them in Adobe Reader they look a lot better, and you can
pan/tilt/rotate, change to wireframe etc.
It is based on a supercharger I saw at work some time ago. It is
purely friction-drive (for smoothness, and cheapness). The outer
(green) spring-band is a very tight fit and clamps the (off the shelf)
6204 bearings hard against the ER11 collet chuck 8mm shaft ($10 from
eBay CTS Tools).
The outer band needs to be held stationary by some peg/bracket/arm
which is not shown. Also not shown is the nose-seal holder (which also
tensions the bearings and depends on the exact design of the collet
chuck and how the collet chuck is located in the nose bearings (no
idea, possibly a split-clamp and jack-screws, maybe just a loctite-ed
collar)

The design shown has a 104:8 ratio, so for a 1000rpm input speed the
output would be 13,000 rpm.

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.