On 7 November 2011 02:26, Kirk Wallace <kwall...@wallacecompany.com> wrote:

>  I suppose a draw
> bar is going to be a problem.

How does your current drawbar work?
I can imagine thet it might be possible to use the exisiting drawbar
actuator for the new spindle. Part of the solution might be to hold
the high-speed spindle in place with the 4 tapped holes in the face
rather than with the drawbar.

There are laminations available with a decent-sized central hole that
would allow a through-bore motor to be made.
http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=SC+65mmstator
I think an ISO10 holder could be made to fit at least partly up inside
that, and you could probably still get at the face mounting bolts.
However I have not found a drawing which shows them.

An Inrunner might package more easily.

Rather than a brushless motor, I wonder if gearing up the existing
spindle is an option. I have seen a centrifugal supercharger drive
which used friction drive to achieve a large speed increase using only
a slightly resilient outer drive ring, and slightly-floating-mounted
planets. These are almost ready-made for the planet job:
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/advanced_search_result.php?categories_id=4461&1_10=9205_1&21_210=-1&22_220=9205_22&23_230=9205_23&x=22&y=9&extra_field_filter=1

--
atp
The idea that there is no such thing as objective truth is, quite simply, wrong.