On Sunday, November 27, 2011 01:01:17 PM andy pugh did opine:

> On 27 November 2011 17:39, gene heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > These worked fine.  I didn't note a method to take up for overall wear
> > in the outer band though.  Or is the load on the bearing outer races
> > such that no brinneling occurs?
>
> The same design seemed to be considered OK for a supercharger (which
> would be running at 100,000 rpm and would be expected to last as long
> as an engine)
> My first guess was that the ring should be 1mm smaller than the
> collective OD of the bearings, and that the flex would take up wear
> for some time.
> The failure mode that concerns me most is actually fatigue of the
> outer ring due to the ocntinued flexing.

at a 1mm undersize, that matches what I am thinking too.  It would have to
be made not from bearing steel, but a spring steel alloy.  This flex has to
be allowed for while restraining its rotation somehow.

Yes, McCullough sold a boatload of those super chargers, but during the
time of their popularity, until the more efficient exhaust driven turbos
showed up, their operational lifetime was far less than the engine they
were feeding unless it was burning dynamite in a full race build, 5 to 10k
miles maximum on a street engine.  There was at one point, a quite thriving
rebuild industry around them in the early 60's & into the 70's.

> Wear of the inner shaft would happen much faster, but those are an
> off-the-shelf and cheap part.

With, I assume some sort of a 3 piston squeezer to loosen it enough to put
the new shaft in. :)  I toyed with a 2 gear idea for my teeny little mill
and came to the conclusion that what I would gain would be short life of
that puny little 200 watt motor on it.  So I mounted an HF die grinder off
to one side, which works well.  Noisy though.

Cheers, Gene
...his disciples lead him in; he just does the rest.
                -- The Who, "Tommy"