Tom Easterday wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2011, at 9:38 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
>
>> Watch out for the CUI AMT-10x encoders at Digi-Key, they have a lag
>> responding to acceleration, and
>> may not be well-suited to CNC systems such as EMC2.
>>

> Jon,
> We are using these encoders on a gantry machine and are currently trying to
> debug a small spike (0.001) of error we see on start and stop of the motor.
> I wonder if this is related to the lag you refer to.  How and why does this
> present itself in these encoders?  How would be see it?

Yes, that is EXACTLY the kind of problem I saw.  This encoder is highly
interpolated, so
it has a tracking counter that is incremented or decremented by an
estimate of the current
velocity.  If you don't do these computations correctly, there is a lag
in responding to
changes in velocity.  As far as I can tell, the interpolator in such
devices as the Analog
Devices AD2S1200 has a really fine 2nd or 3rd order filter to make this
work well.
Obviously, CUI did not go to the trouble of such mathematics.

After never being happy with these encoders and having a bit of customer
feedback,
I decided to compare to a standard HP optical encoder (with no
interpolation.)
So, I put the optical encoder on the other end of the motor, and fed
both to encoder
inputs on my PWM controller board.  Most useful was to plot velocity
derived from
both encoders at the same time.  This comes up often enough, I have the
plots
permanently on my web site.  See
http://pico-systems.com/images/compare_encoder2.png

The red trace is the CUI encoder, which was controlling the motor
(badly).  The white
trace is the HP encoder.  Both are providing 4000 counts/rev.  You can
clearly see
the velocity peaks of the CUI encoder are higher, and if you look
closely at the
slopes, you can see the CUI is slow to react to velocity changes, and
then has to
overshoot significantly so the position can catch up.  This of course
accounts for
the bad servo behavior.  As the Halscope is set for 20 ms/div, the
velocity lag
is easily 3-5 ms in duration!

If you have a plain optical encoder handy, you could easily set up the same
arrangement to compare the encoders.

Jon