Definitely an interesting idea.  To answer Thomas' question from earlier, I
was able to read a 500-1000 Hz range reliably enough to successfully
control EDM plunge/retreat for successful EDM on our first try using the
simple conditional gcode I referenced on the wiki page describing this.

A lot more refinement is necessary, and I still have questions/further
investigations about why the frequency limit is so low, and additional
encountered some of the same sort of instability that Gene is encountering
in his encoder readings (even at a stable frequency input), but have not
filtered it as of yet using the component referenced in that thread.  I'm
not sure an EDM system would really benefit from it anyway, as fast
response is more important than a stable reading, and there is no
mechanical momentum as their is on a lathe spindle.

Scott