I must have been making some silly mistake.  Adding the thread before the
EMCMOT is working for me now, and I have reasonable analog values being
read now.  Thanks for the double check.  The frequency capability is still
not as high as I calculated would be possible, but it is high enough to
avoid egregious interpolation problems (but not interpolation free).

Thank you Viesturs, Chris, Peter and others!

I have some basic documentation of the full solution here:

http://code.google.com/p/sector67-sandbox/wiki/FrequencyBasedAnalogInput

Basically, frequency to analog input using a software encoder though a Mesa
5i23 and 7i37 isolating daughterboard, hooked to the analog 00 input and
used from the M66 gcode command is now working.

Any suggestions or refinements, please let me know.

Scott