On Tue, Nov 13, 2012, at 08:26 AM, Scott Hasse wrote:

> With respect to the encoder Z pulse, if I had a Z pulse three times per
> spindle revolution would a software solution to ignoring every two out of
> three be feasible?  My spindle pulley is 75 teeth, and a 25 tooth encoder
> pulley would be convenient.  I seem to recall the Mesa refresh rate being
> tied to the servo thread, and I am guessing this might impede a software
> solution.
>
> Thanks!

In theory you could do that (but you would have to set up some HAL
stuff to block two out of three index pulses).  In practice I think it
would
be a terrible idea.  Too vulnerable to getting screwed up.

For example - you are doing the first part of a group of parts, and you
stop during the threading operation to check the pitch diameter.  While
you are measuring it, you happen to rotate the chuck backwards a few
degrees.  That happens to make an index pulse.  The "skip two out of
three indexes" logic has no idea that you were rotating backwards.
When you restart, you are off by 1/3 of a revolution and ruin the part
(and possibly the threading tool).

I would either belt the encoder 1:1 to the spindle, or put a one-per-rev
sensor of some sort directly on the spindle.  In the long run you won't
regret it.