On Tuesday 13 November 2012 22:26:10 Scott Hasse did opine:

> Thanks all for the advice.  I hadn't considered the case of reversing
> the spindle a bit, that does shoot that idea down.  Although I've
> enjoyed Gene's spindle encoder adventures vicariously I don't think
> that's a path I want to walk, so at this point my plan is to obtain a
> 1:1 timing belt pulley and use the Z pulse in the encoder I already
> have.  Hopefully that should be fairly straightforward.

Be aware the timing belt must be tight.  Any slack/slop in the coupling
will eat your lunch when tuning it for stability.  That would generally
have to have a second shaft in bearings good enough to take the belt
tension as you can't put that sort of sideways pull directly into the
encoders own bearings.

> Thanks again and I'll let you know how it goes.
>
> Scott
>
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 13 November 2012 18:34, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > > I'd have reservations about index sensing at servo rate, depending
> > > on the top speed of the spindle, and try to set the mesa to respond
> > > in real
> >
> > time.
> >
> > The Mesa encoder counter responds in Mesa time, and zeros the counts
> > instantly. The next time that the FPGA is polled the return value is
> > the number of counts since the index.
> >
> > --
> > atp
> > If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
> > http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

Cheers, Gene
A city is a large community where people are lonesome together
                -- Herbert Prochnow