On Wednesday 14 November 2012 07:52:29 andy pugh did opine:

> On 14 November 2012 03:30, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@wdtv.com> wrote:
> > Be aware the timing belt must be tight.  Any slack/slop in the
> > coupling will eat your lunch when tuning it for stability
>
> Maybe with a servo, but probably not a huge issue for measuring
> spindle position.

Here is a gilmer belt between the motor and the spindle in this 7x12. Not
noticeable under cutting loads, but when spinning free there is an
instability that turns into a low level oscillation at medium speeds.  The
motor can turn about 10 degrees before the slop in the keyway's of the two
pulleys, and the slack in the belt are fully taken up.  There is some
slight, really need to look close, funkityness as the single tooth enters
the thread, but not enough to cause any sort of a problem with the cut
thread.

> There is a lot to be said for picking a handy gear and using
> gear-tooth-sensors: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160642364232
> http://pico-systems.com/bridge_spindle.html
> (And also my own version of the same:
> https://picasaweb.google.com/108164504656404380542/CNCUnsorted#577073626
> 1517681954 et. seq. )

Cheers, Gene
Yes, I've now got this nice little apartment in New York, one of those
L-shaped ones.  Unfortunately, it's a lower case l.
                -- Rita Rudner