On Tuesday 13 November 2012 13:25:29 Scott Hasse did opine:

> I can confirm that with the Mesa 7i33 card an open collector encoder
> will work but needs pull-up resistors, I used 1k to pull up to 5V, for
> the positive encoder inputs.  For a 100ppr quadrature encoder that is
> so far working fine.
>
> With respect to the encoder Z pulse, if I had a Z pulse three times per
> spindle revolution would a software solution to ignoring every two out
> of three be feasible?

No, because it would be totally ambiguous which one of the pulses is the
real one. You couldn't depend on being able to cut threads with it.

> My spindle pulley is 75 teeth, and a 25 tooth
> encoder pulley would be convenient.

I would figure out a way to put just the index on the spindle gear proper.
There is a pix, I think in the wiki, of how someone mounted an encoder disk
right on the left face of the pulley.  The patterns to make that disk are
available at that same link IIRC.  Since they are gcode, they are editable
to change the size and slot counts, its how I made my much smaller disk to
fit the rear end of the spindle in a 7x12.

> I seem to recall the Mesa refresh
> rate being tied to the servo thread, and I am guessing this might
> impede a software solution.

I'd have reservations about index sensing at servo rate, depending on the
top speed of the spindle, and try to set the mesa to respond in real time.

> Thanks!
>
> Scott
>
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM, andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 11 November 2012 20:00, Scott Hasse <scott.ha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I plan on integrating the spindle control to be able to thread, but
> > > I am wondering if the Z pulse needs to be strictly once per chuck
> > > revolution
> >
> > Yes, it must be once per spindle revolution. The system will always
> > start the threading pass on the index, and if that index happens at a
> > different point in the spindle revolution, then so will the thread.
> >
> > > Further, I am wondering the best way to interface a 12-24V open
> > > collector encoder with the Mesa 7i33 servo control card.
> >
> > That's one for Pete.
> >
> > --
> > atp
> > If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
> > http://www.ifixit.com/Manifesto

Cheers, Gene
<BenC> cerb: we subscribed you to debian-fight as the moderator
<BenC> cerb: list rules are, 1) no nice emails, 2) no apologies