kqt4a...@gmail.com wrote:
> with an encoder on the motor shaft and a linear encoder on the axis gantry
> could linuxcnc be configured to detect a stall
> maybe as simple as a loose motor connector

Yes, of course it can.  You need a way to read the encoders into the PC.
Mesa and Pico Systems (my company) make boards that can do this,
as well as output step pulses at fast rates smoothly.  You can, in theory,
read the encoders via the parallel port, but there are a bunch of
limitations
on that.  You would only need one encoder (either linear or rotary)
per axis, not two.

Jon