On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 11:53 -0800, Peter C. Wallace wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jan 2013, Viesturs L?cis wrote:
>
> > Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 21:28:48 +0200
> > From: "[UTF-8] Viesturs L?cis" <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>
> > To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] LinuxCNC craziness

> >> You should put the U/V/W wires (not the ground) from one channel all
> >> through
> >> one ring (this is what called a common mode choke it has 0 net current
> >> flow so
> >> does not saturate from the motor current)
> >>
> >> The point of this is to add some series impedance to the (very stiff) 28V
> >> square wave driving into the cable and motor stator winding/frame
> >> capacitance. This limits the amplitude of the current spikes created by
> >> driving into this capacitance.
> >
> > Thanks for the explanation! So is it enough just to put it through
> > once or should I wrap at least once around the ferrite?
>
> This depends a lot on the ferrite characteristics. You will probably have to
> experiment.
>

> > Since previous replies have got me into considering of replacement of
> > motor wires to something with a shield, I have a question - what would
> > be minimum recommended wire lead "thickness" (I mean the area in mm^2)
> > for 7i39 drive?
>

> the 7I39 can supply 10A continous max through one phase so 14 Ga is about
> right but 12 Ga would be better (~2 to 3.3 MM^2)
>

> > --
> > Viesturs

Hi,

I must say that the conversations between Viesturs and Peter provide
good information for the rest of us also. Viesturs ... you make a good
guinea pig, no offense intended. This allows us to learn without going
thru all the pain. ;-)
I don't suppose there is any way to reconfigure so the cable runs are
shorter.
Hang in there and good luck.

Dave