On Tue, 8 Jan 2013, Viesturs L?cis wrote:

> Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 20:41:58 +0200
> From: "[UTF-8] Viesturs L?cis" <viesturs.la...@gmail.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: Re: [Emc-users] LinuxCNC craziness
>
> 2013/1/8 Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com>:
>>
>> These can often be reclaimed from old CRT video cables If you are desperate
>
> Should I get a ring for each lead or should I use all 4 leads of each
> motor on one ferrite ring?
> And is it enough to simply run them through the center or should I
> wrap it around at least once (put through center, wrap around and once
> again through center in the same direction as first time)?

You should put the U/V/W wires (not the ground) from one channel all through
one ring (this is what called a common mode choke it has 0 net current flow so
does not saturate from the motor current)

The point of this is to add some series impedance to the (very stiff) 28V
square wave driving into the cable and motor stator winding/frame
capacitance. This limits the amplitude of the current spikes created by
driving into this capacitance.

>> Not sure, so you have enable_raw in the config string?
>>
>> in that case write_address should be available
>>
>> They are underlines at least in the manual
>
> Fortunately I copied the config folder to my phone memory just before
> leaving, so here is the config string that I tried:
> CONFIG="firmware=hm2/5i23/SVTP6_7I39.BIT num_encoders=5 num_3pwmgens=4
> num_stepgens=0 enable_raw"
>
> If the config string was wrong, error message would pop up, right?
>
> And here are the lines from HAL file that I tried in my last attempt
> and that did not work:
> setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.write_address 13312 # (0x3400)
> setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.write_data 8   (divide/10)
> setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).0.write_strobe TRUE
>
> It did complain about write_address pin not being available. I guess
> that next thing would be complaining about (divide/10) phrase, which
> is not marked as comment with #, but it did not get that far.
>

>> divide by 20 which is a register value of 18
>
> Ok, thank You!
>
>> The shielding prevents mainly electrostatic coupling (via capacitance)
>> from motor PWM (28V square wave) to encoder and Hall signals
>
> So is it expected to provide any improvement to shield also motor
> wires, if there already is shield around encoder and hall sensor
> wires?
>

>> The encoder shield should not be terminated at the encoder end
>
> Yes, I understand that. It is connected _only_ on control box end, not
> connected on motor's end - I have checked under the end cap of motor,
> when I tweaked hall sensor alignment.
>

> --
> Viesturs
>
> If you can't fix it, you don't own it.