Use halcmd to examine the encoder parameters/pins, and see if counter mode is
set.
If the encoder driver expects a quadrature signal and only gets one phase, it
will count
up and down one count.

You need to tell it that there is only one signal (and the encoder driver needs
to be able
to deal with that).  I know the software encoder can handle a single input.
Not sure about
the Mesa encoder (but I suspect it can).

PnCConf is only a wrapper, sometimes you are better off looking underneath to
see
what is going on.  Maybe PnCConf isn't setting the counter mode bit?  Maybe it
is but
the encoder driver isn't honoring that bit?  Two completely different problems
that will
need to be fixed in different ways (and by different people).

--
  John Kasunich
  jmkasun...@fastmail.fm