I just checked the ground to housing on the VFD filter, VFD, computer,
and the smaller filter and they are all internally connected to ground.
The VFD is controlled via modbus so I don't know how to check that cable
(which is just a phone cable with a phone jack on one end and a DB9 on
the other end to connect to the computers serial port, it's a Automation
Direct cable not home made.

Is injection to the mains coming back to the machine somehow?

JT